A lot of remote web people like to show off their neat and tidy desks that look like no one actually sits there and works for 8 hours a day. Let’s have some real talk: no desk is ever that clean except for a photo shoot. Here is what an actual in use remote web developer’s desk looks like, annotations below:
cloudinaryImage “/v1614988656/sts/desk.jpg”, "", “Scott’s Desk in March 2020”, ‘align-full’
- Work-provided 2019 13” MacBook Pro
- 27” LG HDR 4k Display. Best monitor for the value besides a full on iMac.
- JBL Speakers that I’ve had since college. There is a sub-woofer on the floor. They work fine. I am not an audiophile, so I’ve never felt a need to replace them.
- Random collection of pens. Probably only need one or two of them tbh.
- Mentos gum (also noted: Hi Chew Candy)
- Free notebook swag from An Event Apart Denver 2017
- The desk is from someone in Texas that I bought on Etsy. I’ll probably want a bigger desk someday though.
- Logitech MX Anywhere 2 mouse. It’s fine, not my favorite mouse.
- Apple Magic Keyboard
- Chapstick because it gets dry living in the mountains
- Apple AirPods
- Moleskin notebook
- Mondaine Swiss Railway watch that I need to get a new battery for
- Granola bar wrapper I need to throw out
- A pen
- Griffin Laptop Stand (are they still in business?)
- My collection of National Park pins
- Cheatsheet for our front-end framework and brand colors (because who can memorize every color hex value?)